- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
1. Center a rack in the oven and preheat oven to 350F (175C). Butter inside of 2 (8-inch) round cake pans. Line bottom of pans with wax paper circles. Butter wax paper. Dust entire inside of pans with cake flour.
2. Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Combine milk and vanilla extract. Fill a large saucepan halfway with water and bring to a boil over medium heat. Add eggs and sugar into a large bowl and beat until just combined; about 1 minute. Reduce saucepan heat to medium-low. Hold bowl of eggs and sugar over pan of simmering water. beat for 5 minutes on high speed until eggs and sugar thicken. Remove from heat and transfer your set-up to the dry mixing area where it is cooler.
3. Place hot bowl with eggs and sugar on towel on counter. Alternately, add dry ingredients, vanilla milk, and oil into eggs while beating on high speed to combine. Stir in hot water.
4. Pour mixture, evenly divided, into prepared cakes pan. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and cool. Run a knife around the edge of the cakes in pans. Invert one cake on to wax paper and then re-invert on to serving platter. Invert the other cake on to wax paper and then re-invert on to a plate. Cover cakes with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to use.
5.To make Frosting: Place chocolate chips in a glass bowl. Heat cream in a small saucepan until boiling. Pour cream over chips and stir until completely melted and smooth. Cover and refrigerate.
6. For the filling or the layer between cakes transfer 1/3 of the frosting into a bowl and beat on high about 2 minutes. Spread this filling on top of the cooled cake on the serving platter. Place the other cake on top. Place back in the fridge to firm things up. After an hour, ice cake with remaining frosting.Place the cake back in the fridge until serving time.